The Healthy Living Project
REACH Community Health Project have initiated a one year pilot project entitled The Healthy Living Project. This project is being funded by the Big Lottery Funds Awards for All programme and supported by NHS Glasgow City CHP, South Sector
Targeted at Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) Communities residing in Glasgow, the Healthy Living Project focuses on improving the health and wellbeing of BME people by giving them free participative training with practical activities on healthy eating, nutrition & food labelling.
In order to implement this project successfully and to ensure that we address and meet the needs of communities, we have involved a diverse group of BME communities and worked with them at the time of designing the project. We will continue to do so during the implementation process.
The participants of the project will benefit from the following key activities:
- Learning and Development Sessions. The sessions will allow participants to open up and discuss their issues about healthy diet and nutrition. Furthermore, the session will help us enhance our understanding of ethnic food, cooking and eating habits and nutritional needs. Thereby communities will benefit by REACH being able to incorporate the findings into the programme into future such projects.
- Participative Training Sessions. The sessions will allow participants to understand healthy food options; choose healthy menus, develop a food diary and encourage the use of online resources on healthy eating.)
- Food Labelling. Participants will benefit from visiting food stores to learn about food labelling.
- Health Recipes with input from the participants, a sample of healthy recipes will be produced to benefit participants and other BME community individuals in the longer term.
- Peer Support Group. Based on the evaluation of the sessions / activities and by looking into the case studies on how the project has made an impact on the lives of people, a peer support group can be established at REACH for those interested in volunteering to participate after the end of the project.